Day 281: Al Green – I’m Still In Love With You

6 Dec

I’m Still In Love With You

My dad’s taste in music never fails to confuse me.  If you want to talk to a guy with eclectic taste, he’s your man.  For this week’s installment of Dad Rock Tuesday, he bestowed upon me Al Green’s 1972 release, I’m Still In Love With You.

Now, I’m going to ask you to do one thing.  Look at that cover.  Now look at it again.  Are you dying of laughter yet? No?  Look at it one more time.  How could I take anything with a cover like that seriously? It slowed me down a little at first, but then I let Al Green’s beautiful, smooth, emotive voice wash over me, and that ridiculous picture was forgotten almost immediately.

Listening to music like this is a little weird to me.  It’s so far outside of the range of what’s usually playing on my iPod that I can’t help but be inclined to dislike it a bit at first.  However, I made myself open up to this stuff, and found that there’s nothing to dislike about the work of Al Green.  It’s genuinely catchy, even if it’s for different reasons than my treasured indie pop.  Mr. Green has one hell of a voice, reaching pitch-perfect highs that I didn’t think were humanly possible.  Believe it or not, the kids today would have no problem describing this stuff as “chill,” or “really chill,” which is another thing that I often look for in music.

So maybe my dad’s taste isn’t all that confusing.  I’ll give him credit.  He listens to music that sounds good, and doesn’t force stuff that doesn’t.  I can definitely learn from that.

Advertisements

11 Responses to “Day 281: Al Green – I’m Still In Love With You”

1. Dave Chops December 6, 2011 at 7:41 pm #

Nice pick, Dad. A lot of those of us who did not get exposed to the Rev. Al growing up on the South Side, heard about him from David Byrne. That’s right. Remember the Talking Heads album “Fear of Music”? Remember “Take Me To the River”? The Heads made it sound like it was recorded in a submarine. Al goes to church with it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ngrXi5Dwk2I, (Heads did that too: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=anjT71N4PGM&feature=related) He can be SOOOOOOOO good live but he put on one of the most disappointing shows I have ever gone to at the jazz festival here a few years ago.

Check out Otis Clay and some of the other Hi label artists like O.C. Wright. There is good stuff to be found. Probably some of it is stashed away in the Dad Rock archives.

Teaser: Al DOES have a great voice but so does Stevie Wonder. And Stevie also blows a mean harmonica.

2. Dave Chops December 6, 2011 at 7:47 pm #

One more thing: If you want to see and hear Al at his best, try to get your hands on Robert Mugge’s documentary The Gospel According to Al Green. Incredible.

3. Yuanny Dollar December 8, 2011 at 1:57 am #

Well, I don’t think Stevie W can sing like The Reverend Al, but, once in a while, he blows a mean harp and we know Senor Swole likes the harp, so I concur. As for Al, I think I read a quote once where he said if he could sing like anyone else, it would be George Jones, so I think it is time for Earboy to get his country on and check out The Grand Tour: Step right up. Come on in . . . Just typing it gives me chills.

• Dave Chops December 8, 2011 at 2:45 am #

… and right after George Jones, he might give Ray Charles’ “Modern Sounds in Country and Western” a listen to hear what happens when an R&B guy gets his country on in 1961 – I mean besides being asked to leave the lunch counter.

4. Yuanny Dollar December 8, 2011 at 9:38 am #

Ray Charles and Stevie Wonder — we’ve had Minnesota Week and Wilco Week — maybe it is time for Visual Impairment Week. Discuss.

• Dave Chops December 8, 2011 at 10:12 am #

José Feliciano, Jeff Healey, Blind Willie McTell, Art Tatum, Blind Boys of Alabama, Amadou and Mariam, Marcus Roberts, Clarence Carter, Blind John Davis, Rahsaan Roland Kirk(!), Clarence Carter, Sonny Terry, Bryan Lee – shoot you could do one whole week on blind jazz musicians and another on blind bluesmen. And why the hell are so many blind musicians also black? Hell, you got just two white guys and a Latino in that whole group.

5. Yuanny Dollar December 8, 2011 at 11:37 am #

You forgot George Shearing and that awful Italian tenor — Andrea Bocelli. I vote for Clarence Carter — he’s strokin’.

• B. Frank December 8, 2011 at 6:31 pm #

DOC WATSON!

• Dave Chops December 9, 2011 at 1:24 pm #

SPEAK UP, B! I CAN’T HEAR YOU!

6. B. Frank December 9, 2011 at 2:08 pm #

Shhhhhh. Back bacon in his ears…

• Chops and Doug Mackenzie December 9, 2011 at 9:10 pm #